What is a Selfie?
The art of the selfie is one that lots of people have practiced and perfected in recent years. Seriously, lots. As of press time, more than 31 million Instagram photos have been hashtagged #selfie, and according to a recent study from the Pew Research Center, 91 percent of teens have posted a photo of themselves online. Did you know there is also a Belfie? Say what... it's so unbelievable I will let you Google that term yourself!
First of all there is a proper way to take selfies. There are so many tips on the internet you could read for hours. A brief synopsis: lighting is important, take pictures from different angles, best pictures are usually captured looking down at your face and slightly above the eyes. Many people believe that those girls who take frequent selfies are looking for validation and often have low self esteem or it suggests they have nothing better to do.
Can Selfies be dangerous? Yes if taken often. There is such a thing as too many selfies! Teens are being diagnosed with conditions like Dysmorphic Disorder, where they become obsessed with finding the "perfect" selfie.
Today kids are going to extremes and placing themselves in dangerous situations in an attempt to get a selfie that gains attention. The internet is filled with the "Top 10 Most Dangerous Selfies" from different sources. Teenagers have scaled buildings and bridges thousands of feet high, snapped selfies going at excessive speeds in various moving objects, antagonized wildlife, chased dangerous weather and more incredibly dangerous acts.
Selfie Do's & Don'ts:
- Consider taking photos of a new item like a scarf, shoes, lipstick or food/drink you are enjoying.
- Watch for photo bombers who can ruin the perfect photo.
- Capture different emotions in the moment. i.e. authentic photos of you laughing during a funny movie are more genuine.
- There are many apps out there to improve your selfies by removing blemishes in a photo and adding filters or changing the lighting. Aviary was a favorite of most of the girls in my troop. https://www.aviary.com/
- Do Not take a selfie at a funeral, memorial, car accident or any monumental event without permission.
- Don take a selfie while driving!
- Don't bombard friends with Selfies, some people do not like or appreciate them.
- Be aware selfies can sometimes identify your location.
- Avoid using mirrors which can sometimes capture inappropriate angles or views.
- Don't post comments you would like like getting yourself. Be considerate of others.
- Avoid Wildlife Photos. Let them be.