Friday, October 2, 2015

TWITTER



TWITTER!  Follow me on Twitter!  Do you want to know when my next post is published?  Here is a simple way to be notified!
@FollowtheJrLead

Speaking of Twitter, what is it?  
I have been resistant to Twitter.  As techno-savvy as I am, I had formulated a bad opinion of the service initially.  The first time I signed up for a personal account several years ago, I was asked to follow people and it appeared that I had no alternative, but to check Twitter's suggestions.  Then I was attacked with twitter messages that I could care less about.  Also Twitter constantly suggested people and groups they thought I would like to follow.  I was getting less posts from people I cared about and more posts on who I should follow.  Finally, I expected tweets to be delivered directly to me via texts, but this did not happen so I figured I had done something wrong when I signed up.

Recently I gave Twitter another chance because I missed an important real-time announcement my public school tweeted.  How can so many people like Twitter and I am so resistant to the service?  How can other people find it intuitive and easy and I don't?  I can build complicated websites, collect online payments and data and yet I can't seem to understand Twitter.  What is wrong with me?  Running 3 school websites, blogging and socially marketing events, activities and programs, I decided it was time to let go of my bias.  So I did some research.  Ughh why is it so complicated to me?  

First and foremost Twitter is not a texting service!  You will not be updated when you receive a tweet.  You must physically enter the Twitter app to view current tweets, respond to tweets and submit tweets.  Twitter is not Remind 101, a great texting service that reminds your troops about meetings or keeps your troop(s) aware of local activities.  These 2 apps are very different and serve their own purpose.  Twitter followers MUST choose to follow you, but you can follow anyone for the most part.  There are private messages and closed groups, but for the most part Twitter is designed to share.... EVERYTHING.  Some people are narcissist tweeters.  They tweet everything... "Just washed my car, cute guy took my money."  "Finished packing lunch for girls, homemade sushi."  "Just took a shower after 5 days and used new shampoo, it smells great."  Say what?  You get my point.

So here is my personal synopsis of Twitter... either you like it or you don't.  You are either a Twitter Fan or You are Not!  Personally I like Facebook if I am going to spend a few minutes browsing, it seems more user friendly.  However, I know everyone is different and I know all social media connects.  You can connect with people and move them to different forms of media like websites, facebook, twitter, Remind 101, email, Constant Contact and you don't know what other people prefer.  In order to reach as many people as possible it is important to use ALL forms of social media to promote the news, your business, your blog, your organization or yourself. 

Why use Twitter?

Great uses for businesses:
  •     Advertising
  •     Staying in touch with Customers
  •     Pointing them to other forms of social media
  •     Contests
  •     New releases

Organizations
  • keep members connected, aware of changes, announce events and awards etc

Personal Use - Microblogging
  •     Similar to Instagram (Adult version) with or without the photos
  •     Facebook for Texting to keep in contact with long distance friends or family
        less commitment to text details since you are limited by the number of characters you can text

Job Opportunities
  •     Announce to the world you are seeking a job and many companies post openings

Keep up with News
  •     From school to community to local to national news stay on top of current conditions in             real time
  •     Small bits of information, but allows you to research further if it interests you

Weather
  •     Be alerted to bad weather or travel conditions
Tell me about your experience with Twitter.  Share with other readers why you like it or don't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment